Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I Fobbit or Sergeant Fobbit


‘Fobbits suck,’ I read this
every day as I close the
door of the port-a-john.
Nice to know I suck. Although how
this kid would know, I can’t tell.
I joined in ’87 when I was 17.
Being young and stupid I followed
my recruiter’s advise and
trained in the chemical coir.
I quickly learned that war is
            at it’s best when it only
            features blood and bullets.
Nerve agent and mustard gas
            make those old things seem
            quaint and desirable.
My war plan expanded to saving
            my guys from Cold War
            weapons of mass destruction.
I knew that if I was ever called
            to do my job, it would be
            hell for those few that survived.
And hell for me picking up the
pieces. And likely, doing my
job would be the end of me.
I taught and trained with no
            thanks and no help. Commanders
            and first sergeants shut me down.
The Gulf War came and quickly
            went. My brief moment of
            importance died.
And finally my time was up,
            I got out. I swore I
            would never do it again.
Then 9-11 came, and I though
            maybe I was wrong, but the
            time didn’t seem right.
So I stayed out.

Iraq came back, and I looked
            again. But still, even
            with chemical need,
I stayed out.

2006 and a well placed brochure,
            things had changed and
            I was needed back.
Two years later I stood in Afghanistan, with
a promise from my first sergeant:
I would not leave the wire.
So on this fob I sit, and old
            Fobbit. Doing a job I’m not trained
            for, and not needed for.
But young man, when things come
            down, and you find you’re
            not as hot as you think.
I’m the old, wise sergeant that
            is ready to reach down and
            pull you out of the mess...
You made.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is one of your better ones. There's a couple of spots where it stumbles a tiny bit but wow! I'm impressed!

    Nice work!

    ReplyDelete