Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Bagram October

A black day, late in October
I hear a cat mew
I look for it in surprise
For felines here
Are rarely seen and never heard
I turn back to my writing
The report is soon due
And I hear the cat again
Mew
The a third time it calls
More insistent than before
I push aside my computer
As I hear a thump from outside
I open the door and find face down
A man that I am sure I know
I rush to his side and try
To turn him over, but
His body is too stiff
I reach a hand to check his pulse
And find it blank
Then shift enough to see his face
Still and stretched with fear
I see my commander dead
I turn back, to run inside, report the death
But the once loose door is now jammed shut
And as I pull and pry
I hear now softer, but
With more menace
A single
Meow

No comments:

Post a Comment